Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.
Email marketing works well when it is executed well. It can open up opportunities for salespeople and business developers to engage in dialogue and rapport-building with key decision-makers that can purchase your business’s products or services. The success of your email marketing campaign depends on the amount of responses you get to build your sales pipeline, which will ultimately develop your ability to close more sales for your business. We have provided the following tips that will increase your chances of key decision-makers opening, reading and responding to cold emails.
Tip: Click here to use StreakCRM to communicate & grow your relationship with your prospect. This plugs straight into Gmail. Click here to install the free version.
Get the email address that allows you to communicate with the right decision-maker.
The last thing you want is for your email to get through, be opened and read; only for it to fall on deaf ears. Sending the right email to the right recipient greatly increases your business’s chances of getting warm responses from qualified prospects. Before an email gets sent, ensure that you have the right email address for the qualified prospect that is a key decision-maker within the organisation. This means:
- If you buy email lists, check the qualifications of the leads.
- If you develop the email list yourself, qualify the leads by finding the right person in the organisation.
Personalise the subject line to the recipient.
The person that receives the email will open and read the email triggered from their emotions. It is up to the person that creates the subject line to craft a subject line that will get the targeted decision maker to open the email. Some ways to personalise the email subject line includes:
- Using their name
- Addressing their fears
- Addressing their desired benefits
You can make the focus of the personalisation around their name, their desires or both.
- Could you kindly forward this email to John Smith? (For generic email addresses)
- I’d like to express an interest in becoming a copywriter. (Sent to digital marketing agencies that require copywriters.)
- Expression of interest.
- John, save £2000 a year on your coffee bean expenses. (Sent to coffee shops)
Demonstrate value in the body of your email content to your target recipient.
If you get the recipient to open your email, the content needs to demonstrate value so they will read the email and take action. The recipient can easily click delete or junk mail and send your email into the abyss to never be seen again. That’s why it is critical that you nail your email content. You can achieve this by:
Pitching your value.
- I am (who) from (where) and I specialise in (what). I can help you (benefit to them).
- Address their core frustrations, issues and concerns.
- Are you (frustration)?
- Would you like (solution)?
Ask the email recipient to connect with you.
If you want the recipient to take action, you must ask them to take your desired action. Just leaving an email signature with your contact details may suffice. Ask them to contact you
- On your direct phone number.
- On your direct email address.
- By connecting with you on social media.
These can be much more impactful for building a relationship and nurturing sales.
Furthermore, give them options with time such as:
- An immediate response.
- Responding at a future date.
Use as little HTML as possible in your emails.
Your intended recipient will not see your email if it gets flagged by the email spam filter and sent into their junk mail or spam folder. HTML emails are more captivating, however when it comes to making contact for the first time, too much HTML in your email can ruin your opportunities to reach people in the first place. To improve the chances of your email being received:
- Use plain text emails.
- If you cannot send a plain text email, make text the main factor in your HTML emails.
- Avoid using images in your email.
- If you need to get your point across with images or using HTML, send them to a web page.
- Minimise the amount of links (especially hyperlinks) in your email.
You can use the following link to test your email so it will get through the spam filters.
These 5 tips will improve the response rates of your emails and create more opportunities for your business’s development. Let us know how these work for your next email marketing campaign.
Criminally Prolific – 26 Cold email templates and resources which guarantee to get a response.
Criminally Prolific – 7 ways to grow your email 3x every month
OK Dork – 6 steps to writing great cold emails.
Inspire Wilson – Breakdown of the best and worst emails I ever received.
Sparring Mind – How to email busy people.
Join the newsletter
Get updates that will allow you to grow your website's income over the next 12 months.